Wednesday, January 1, 2014

La Rose (a visitation)

How many greats was that?
I'm sure it was more.
Couldn't be great great
must be more like great great great
Grandfather.
Agapanthus
Steel fence
old peppercorns
bluestone restored.
presence of the past.
Flashing by my eyes
in transparent overlays
on an urban landscape.
His name was Coiler - changed from Colyear.
A name I'd never heard of but appearing on lists from his time.
He bought the house from Farquar, called prominent surgeon. He bought it from Pascoe Fawkner. Pascoevale. Fawkner. Place names I had never considered as anything but names on a map. In no way connected to my family. 
Who IS my family. I think only in the present. Often find myself saying, I only have Mum. Coming from a small family.
My family stretches back to days i'd rather not know about.
Days of theft and death and cruelty I cant imagine.
Days when people were shot like rabbits. Blackberrying was the name I heard. My family was there. Alive. IN the vicinity. Part of the colony. Did they raise a gun?

No comments:

Post a Comment