Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Vacant Seat

Isabella's chair and Patrick's chair are the empty seats I am asking myself to imagine sitting in. They are chairs from the early 1800's from Melbourne, probably made by early colonists. I am attempting to place myself in the picture of early history in order to confront the shame that I believe lies hidden, 'sat on' so to speak, and affecting the way I relate to myself and my country. I have been dealing with the easy generalisations about 'our past', not 'my past' and now is the time to sit down and look at myself.
After my exhibition I am going on a road trip to find the place my great Grandfather occupied in Northern NSW. I would like to find whose land he took and what has become of the traditional owners. I am going to take these seats and sit down in this country in an attempt to try to reconcile with the occupier in myself.


Isabella's Chair

Patricks Chair

No comments:

Post a Comment