Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Beyond White Guilt

I have been slowly reading Sarah Maddison's fabulous book Beyond White Guilt. The reason I am reading it so slowly is because I have to keep stopping to underline nearly every second paragraph.
It is the book I would have written if I was a writer, or more accurately, it is my thoughts put down perfectly into words. I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't read it.
Some of what I have underlined tonight.
'Those taking offence at a more critical view of Australia's colonial past seem determined to 'smudge history into the sand', through a series of denials that, paradoxically, have also continued to feed the 'fundamental guilt that lies like a shadow over the European psyche', a guilt that 'will not be shifted until the colonial project is completed or abandoned'. (Sarah Maddison quoting Julie Marcus)
I recently said to someone that I think this issue is THE issue in Australia that underlies all other issues and am often frustrated by my countrymen and women not taking it up. She said to me that everyone thinks their issue is THE issue. I can see that she is right however I do think that history will prove me correct as it does when looking back on the holocaust.
I had coffee today with Maxine Briggs at the State Library and was horrified to learn that 30 years after the initial research I did at the library for the Koorie Mural she holds the only identified Aboriginal position in that huge colonial institution. It was wonderful to hear from her that she thinks my project is timely and very important. She said, and I quote, 'Someone needs to break the ice'.
Still sitting up late embroidering a new piece for my music stool. A horrific image taken from a colonial postcard from the 1800's, a staged photograph of a white man violently holding down a black man with gun in hand.
Think it must have been a propaganda postcard sent back to the mother country to let people know that it was safe to come down under.

Dis-eased - Digital print on rag, eucalyptus leaves, pins, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment