Monday, October 6, 2014

The RUIN of the coloniser

Another shoot in this place that seems to speak to me of so many things. I somehow feel at home amidst all the wombat and swallow shit, rats nests and rotting detritus. Cant explain why but I love the remains of lives that have ben left to decay rather than sentimentally retrieved and sold expensively in Fitzroy antique shops.



I placed selected pieces of my colonial collection amongst the chaos, a tea pot owned by my great grandmother and a ship made in 1864, and when we were taking them out my colleagues said it was hard to tell what was mine and what belonged to the space.




I participated in an amazing masterclass conducted by Patrice Naimbana last week. I was able to place in context some aspects of my relationship with Les that I have never been able to talk about. The Gospel of Othello was the name of the masterclass and with the powerful but gentle encouragement of Patrice we all explored the complexities of race and colonisation in the Shakespeare play. I found resonances I didn't expect. Next post I will explore this. Have to go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment